The Harvard University Herbaria is made up of six separate herbarium dating back to the early/mid 1800s: the Gray Herbarium, the Herbarium of the Arnold Arboretum, the Economic Herbarium of Oakes Ames, the Oakes Ames Orchid Herbarium, the Farlow Herbarium and the New England Botanical Club Herbarium. Until the early 1950’s these herbaria were housed separately throughout Cambridge and Boston. In the years between the 1950’s and the 1970’s all six herbaria were brought together into one facility on Divinity Avenue on the Harvard campus. The existing facility is a complex of three structures; the original Farlow Herbarium building constructed in 1886, the main herbaria building constructed in 1954 and an addition to the main building constructed in 1979.
Today the size of the herbaria collections far exceeds the capacity of the existing facility. WeatherstonBruer were retained to undertake two projects:
1) Collection Facility Master Plan
2) Design & Construction of New Third Floor Facility